Something to play on/with.
My trusted old laptop began coughing. Well, the sound of a broken fan was more like a chainsaw going through wood than coughing. And then suddenly it started freezing and restarting. Ok, thermal throttling and thermal shutdown, I get it, something had to be replaced. So I replaced the fan and the heat sink, apparently to no avail. A week went by, there was no rattling sound, the fan just stopped working. And the thermal problems came back.
So I started planning my next buy. Which components should I pick?
I settled on buying an Intel i5 CPU, an AMD graphics card and a Fractal Design case. The rest would be considered at the time of the purchase.
Picked components were:
- ASRock H87 Fatal1ty
- Intel i5-4440
- Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 CL9
- Sapphire AMD Radeon R7-260X 2GB GDDR5
- Crucial M500 240GB SSD
- Fractal Design Core 3000 USB 3.0
- XFX Core Edition Pro 550W
- Additional 12cm Fractal Design fan
Maybe I should have bought a modular PSU for better cable management. Also, the top HDD cage needs to go out.
- Logitech G103 gaming keyboard
- Rapoo V3 gaming mouse with a Steelseries mousepad
- Logitech F710 wireless gamepad
Installed Windows 8.1 Pro. Works like a charm. GTA IV works perfectly, hopefully GTA V will too (if/when it’s released).
Now I just need to find some time to use it. 🙂